Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Motherhood, Comforting Those In Need


It was a bright winter day when my husband and I with our three-year-old ventured out on a walk for some exercise.  We stopped off at a park close to our home.  As my husband helped our son onto the swing, I noticed a car pulling up in the parking lot.  A few minutes later a young couple got out with a toddler. As they made their way through the park, the husband sat down on a bench at one end of the park holding the toddler and the mother sat on a different bench alone.  I could tell by their countenances that a terrible tragedy had happened.  Something told me to go sit by the young woman and I followed that prompting quickly.
I introduced myself to the lady and asked if there was anything I could do for her.  She wept and began to tell me about their nine-month-old daughter.  Yesterday for the entire day the daughter had been crying unconsolably.  There was no way to calm or soothe their child and they had been up all day and night tending to her needs.  Finally in the early morning hours they decided to take her to the hospital.  On the way the little girl stopped crying and it seemed to them as if she had fallen asleep from exhaustion. Upon arriving at the hospital they found that, instead of sleeping, she had passed away.  The parents were in shock and devastated.  How could this be?  The doctors discovered that the little girl had a tumor that had burst and this caused her unexpected and sudden death. 
As I sat by this beautiful young mother, I put my arms around her and we cried together.  I tried to comfort her the best I could and after a time she and her husband and toddler left the park.  A few months later I received a beautiful card left on my front porch thanking me for being her angel that day and being at the park for her during those very difficult hours.  Over the years I have learned that God will use mothers to help not only their own children, but also others around them. If we will listen and put our lives in harmony with Him, He will put us where we need to be as his angels on earth.  
Contributed by  Julie from California

No comments:

Post a Comment